Air conditioning is a fairly ‘young’ invention. While it seems we are becoming increasingly dependent on its availability, we have used many techniques for staying cool over human history. From parasols to high ceilings to just a cool swim, these approaches among others have been employed for centuries. However, there are some things we have gotten wrong or maybe are not so obvious. Come explore some of these counter intuitive approaches to keeping cool in temperatures rise.
Want to dig a bit more into the topics from today’s episode? Here are some links for you:
- Thermoregulation is the ability of an organism to keep its body temperature
- A Hot Drink on a Hot Day Can Cool You Down from Smithsonian Magazine
- Spicy foods, ice cream can have chilly effects
- Why do Bedouins wear black robes in hot deserts?
- Some sources for non-weathery weather stories – Capital Weather Gang and Marshall Shepherd’s Forbes Blog
And now for the episode …